I suggest you ...

Implement a Gesture-based Temporary Widget System

Something somewhat possibly like, but not necessarily the same as, Shutters in action launcher: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJJynAG3jQQ&feature=player_embedded

I want to be able to use a gesture to temporarily bring up and then get rid of a widget. I really like their solution -- it would allow me to keep many more widgets much closer without having to keep as many around -- but whichever way you want to go about it, I'll appreciate. I understand that you don't want to copy them, but that doesn't mean you can't implement a system inspired by theirs.

I know overlapping widgets are already possible, so it wouldn't be the biggest stretch, right?

1,169 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Daniel HakimiDaniel Hakimi shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JP BélandJP Béland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the only feature missing that makes me use Action Launcher over Nova Launcher.

• Tomas ZaluckijTomas Zaluckij commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on Nove developers!
        This feature is one of the only ones missing from this amazing launcher. It would make it nearly perfect for me and many other people.
        Not only that, but this has been literally asked for years already! I'm sure it isn't that hard to implement in current stage of your launcher.

• JimJim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Action Launcher and Smart Launcher both have this functionality now but overall they are lesser launchers than Nova for features. Adding this would make Nova amazingly better as I've been considering swapping to one of these two to reduce the number of screens I need for apps and widgets. For me, swiping to show a widget would mean I could get down to one or two pages at the most.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I tried Action launcher, and the shutters are very useful. I like the launcher, but Nova is better with lots of futures. Please, implement some sort of "shutters". Widgets inside a folder is good enough too. Thank You!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lightning launcher can already do this (widgets, how many you like, inside a folder), so for sure it's something possible

• SeppoSeppo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A great way to implement this would be to make it possible to add widgets to folders. Then you could set a single app's icon to be the folder's icon, tap to open the app and swipe to show the folder, which would basically be the widget.

Feedback and Knowledge Base